Re: IAB Statement on Dotless Domains

2013-07-14 10:50:29

Reading some of this discussion leaves me puzzled because I can't tell
which things that some people are saying are intended to be about
"dotless" use of domains, or are intended to be about the expansion of
top level domains in general.

Yes, they should be trreated as entirely separate topics.

My own comments are only about the technical and operational assessment of using dotless domains; I'm not commenting on any policy or political issues:

Dotless domain names have roughly 30 years of standards, software and operations practice working against them. They have always been treated either as an error or as a short-form to possible alternatives.

Moving an extremely well-established installed base of perhaps hundreds of independent software implementations, thousands of different independent operational environments, and billions of users from treating dotless names one way to another should be seen as an impossible task.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking