Re: Dotless Domain conflict with user searching and branding [was: IAB Statement on Dotless Domain]

2013-07-14 10:07:34

On 7/14/2013 9:53 AM, Yoav Nir wrote:

On Jul 14, 2013, at 4:34 PM, Hector Santos <hsantos(_at_)isdg(_dot_)net> wrote:

On 7/13/2013 2:20 PM, Yoav Nir wrote:

So finding your site is not that difficult for first-timers. But regardless,
the people who type in addresses or DNS names in full are rare and far between.

Agreed. Just to see again, I tried it on my wife's new computer with Chrome and
it showed:

    Windows Server on aws.amazon.com
    Windows Server 2012 at microsoft.com
    www.winserver.com

Am I off-base to suggest that the IETF can address this "dotless" domain
searching confusion with a INFO or BCP suggesting software *should* consider DNS solution
first over non-DNS solutions?

SM is way ahead of you :-) :
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-moonesamy-dotless-domains-00

Good show SM.

I have a very popular 5-6 years old resource web page related to using jQuery-based Auto-Suggestion methods with source. It uses a DOMAIN query for an example for the auto-suggestion. You can see how easy it is to just use an NON-DNS database solution. A DNS-solution would have a higher overhead with this full duplex concept.

http://beta.winserver.com/public/test/MultiSuggestTest.wct

Whats funny, is that as I type Winserver here, it also pulls the dotless domain. This data source was a collection of "Bad domains" as rejected and collected by our SMTP server! So at some point, a dotless winserver was used and rejected by our SMTP server.

This illustrates a good part of the issue, from how SMTP currently behaves and also from the user standpoint, the searching may pull the dotless domain first.

--
HLS