Re: IAB Statement on Dotless Domains

2013-07-13 13:21:23

On Jul 13, 2013, at 7:58 PM, Hector Santos <hsantos(_at_)isdg(_dot_)net> wrote:

Try typing out my domain, winserver.com. First timers will not get the
WINSERVER.COM web site, but Microsoft's WIN SERVER 201x and/or WINDOWS SERVER
web sites first.

I did as you suggested earlier, and typed "winserver", but not into Google's
search bar. I typed it into the address bar of Safari. Like Chrome, the address
bar and search bar are the same. I got these suggestions, sorted by category:

  Google Search
     winserver
     win server 2012
     win server 2008
     win server 2003
     win server 2013
  Search Suggestions
     Santronic's Wildcat! Interactive Net Server (WINSE...     winserver.com
     WinServer - Home
winserver.codeplex.com
     Wildcat! Open Site
opensite.winserver.com

So finding your site is not that difficult for first-timers. But regardless,
the people who type in addresses or DNS names in full are rare and far between.