Re: Dotless Domain conflict with user searching and branding [was: IAB Statement on Dotless Domain]

2013-07-14 08:53:28

On Jul 14, 2013, at 4:34 PM, Hector Santos <hsantos(_at_)isdg(_dot_)net> wrote:

On 7/13/2013 2:20 PM, Yoav Nir wrote:

So finding your site is not that difficult for first-timers. But regardless,
the people who type in addresses or DNS names in full are rare and far
between.

Agreed. Just to see again, I tried it on my wife's new computer with Chrome
and it showed:

   Windows Server on aws.amazon.com
   Windows Server 2012 at microsoft.com
   www.winserver.com

Am I off-base to suggest that the IETF can address this "dotless" domain
searching confusion with a INFO or BCP suggesting software *should* consider
DNS solution first over non-DNS solutions?

SM is way ahead of you :-) :
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-moonesamy-dotless-domains-00

It raises a fairness question as the method of communications becoming closer
to obsolete from the user's standpoint, i.e. no protocol is necessary to type
(hence via the browser, HTTP is the default protocol).

I am now wondering what if we tried to add a dotless winserver zone into our
DNS.  Will the software even allow it?

--
HLS