Re: The case of dotless domains

2013-07-16 02:17:50
Hi Doug,
At 22:38 15-07-2013, Doug Barton wrote:
Interesting, but pardon my being blunt, it does not seem to cover any new ground. You did say one useful thing:

IETF specifications usually provide guidance to ensure interoperability. Whether dotless domains are harmful or not is a policy matter.

It's a -00 draft. The above paragraph is one of the two arguments in the draft.

Can you (or Ofer) define how you're using the terms "explicit" and "implicit" in terms of DNS search, and what their relevance is to the topic of dotless domains? And no, I'm not being snarky, I think part of the problem here is a fundamental misunderstanding of how the vast majority of hosts are configured currently.

Speaking for myself, I would say that "explicit" is what the user configured and "implicit" is what the is not used-configured.

I haven't seen anyone in the IETF arguing that the moon is made of green cheese either. What does your comment have to do with anything? Sorry (again) to be blunt, but the IETF pounding the "this thing is bad!" drum is not a particularly effective tool. [1]

I hope that "market forces", whatever that means, is not the main argument to dispel problems.

We have to be realistic about how and where our influence is relevant, and more importantly how and where it is not. Detailing the technical problems with the proposal is relevant IETF work, but that job has already been done more thoroughly by my esteemed former colleagues on the SSAC.

I don't have any influence. I take no position on the SSAC report. What I did was to read all the IETF specifications referenced in the draft and write a draft. It does not bother me to be unrealistic. :-)

It is up to those who decide to decide whether dotless domains is a good
idea that will gain traction or a bad idea that will go away on it own.

You vastly overestimate your own importance in the grand scheme of things. Don't worry, it's a common human problem. :) Rather than repeating my point for the third time, see what I wrote just above.

I left in the paragraph that was quoted for context. The text says "those who decide". I don't have anything to do with the decision about dotless domains. As I am not important it is unlikely that I might overestimate my importance. :-) I don't know the grand scheme of things and I do not need to know the grand scheme of things.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy