RE: Sunday IAOC Overview Session at the Berlin IETF

2013-07-16 03:33:51
One can't 100% protect against disruption from emergency situations.  I'm Vice
Chair of IEEE 802 and there was a case where a venue became unavailable due to
a disaster. In that case it was enough before the meeting that it worked as Bob
described - the hotel chain worked with us to identify and contract an
acceptable alternative.

On the other hand, the tsunami hit Japan just before the IEEE 802 Singapore
meeting - close enough to it that some folks were in the air on the way to the
meeting when it hit. Many attendees had travel disrupted and arrived late. Some
even were unable to attend due to problems getting an alternative routing.
Fortunately, enough were able to arrive so that we had an effective meeting,
but it was difficult.  There are also cases where a wide spread weather
disruption has caused problems for meeting effectiveness - e.g. a blizzard on
the east coast of the USA.

Pat

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Bob Hinden
Sent: Monday, July 15, 2013 12:56 PM
To: Abdussalam Baryun
Cc: Bob Hinden; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Sunday IAOC Overview Session at the Berlin IETF

AB,
<snip>
- Is there an alternative venue if the venue was closed for any
emergency reason at any time? or only one plan so if the plan changes
there can be problems with the communities expected plan because they
were not aware of the needed information per time.

No, there is not an alternative venue under contract.  It isn't practical to
have two venues under contract, build two networks, etc.  It is technically
feasable, but would cause the registration fee to go up significantly to cover
the extra costs.

If there was, for example, a fire at a venue months before the the meeting we
would look for an alternate, but what happens would depend on availability of
alternative venues.  We have good relationships with the hotel chains we use
and they would work very hard to find an alternative venue, as would the
effected venue.