Re: Sunday IAOC Overview Session at the Berlin IETF

2013-07-16 14:18:47
Hi Bob,

thanks and respond below,

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 8:55 PM, Bob Hinden
<bob(_dot_)hinden(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

AB,

IMO the questions/comments that may be ok to see added to discuss are:

1) Venue selection and operation of the IETF meetings
++++++++++++++++
- Selection of the current venue and was there difficulties until
getting to this meeting session time. From the managing meeting
(providing services) and the community use of the meeting. (10 minute
discuss if needed).

I don't understand your question, please clarify.

sorry, I ment meetings in the past were they all using the selected venue
successfully, if there was difficulty (in attending, in using the avenue,
in venue resources).

Note that the IAOC selects the venue, provides the network, contracts with
the hotel, etc., it is the IESG who is responsible for the agenda for the
meeting, agenda planning, etc.

- Is there an alternative venue if the venue was closed for any
emergency reason at any time? or only one plan so if the plan changes
there can be problems with the communities expected plan because they
were not aware of the needed information per time.

No, there is not an alternative venue under contract.  It isn't practical
to have two venues under contract, build two networks, etc.  It is
technically feasable, but would cause the registration fee to go up
significantly to cover the extra costs.

I ment that does the contract mention if there was difficulty in using the
venue then an alternative may be an option. Does the finance of the venue
contract is non-refundable ( a plan for service and maintenance).

If there was, for example, a fire at a venue months before the the meeting
we would look for an alternate, but what happens would depend on
availability of alternative venues.  We have good relationships with the
hotel chains we use and they would work very hard to find an alternative
venue, as would the effected venue.

So I understand there is no plan, we only think about alternative when a
problem appears. I wanted if possible a discuss on this issue.

- Is there an historic/informational RFC issued by IAOC of
difficulties or important comments in past of venues attended?

No.  There is an extensive record of comments about venue on the attendees
list for individual meetings and the IAOC reports to the community.  Also,
meeting surveys with community feedback: http://iaoc.ietf.org/surveys.html

Ok

- Regarding advice within emergency situations (in or out the meeting
venue), is it considered within chosing the managing meeting
plan/venue, and is the emergency solution an available information for
attended participants and who will attend within a meeting day.

Assuming you mean while the meeting is taking place, the secretariat and
venue have emergency plans in place.  The secretariat discuses safety and
emergency medial procedures with the venue to be prepared if anything
should happen.

Ok, so I understand that the safety procedure is discussed but not
emailed/sended to registered participants.

- Someone may like to know if is going to attend at a meeting, how is
the meeting venue managed per time slots, is there a way of quick
feedback/communication of registered-community for meetings (you may
say IETF list but are they connected). The information availability
can be used for others not attended and whom may attend at any time.
(the venue ran out of coffee/water, so I may buy one while going to
venue, or any other issue which can happen out of expected/plan).

The IETF meeting agenda is managed by the IESG.

Problems with the meeting venue can be reported to the Meeting Trouble
Desk at mtd(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org.  Problems with the network can be reported
to the
NOC at noc(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org.

ok thanks,

2) Other issue:
+++++++++
-Is there a future work plan milestones discussed? can be added to [*]

Not sure what your are asking about, but future meetings are posted on the
IETF web site and the process and timeline for meeting planning is part of
the IAOC overview presentation.

sorry, I ment what to discuss, is the community work plan of discuss, so
IAOC knows what it is discussing each time, but does the community just
follow presented issues, or we can come together and plan how we
discuss/influence with IAOC. (this point was trigered when I read your call
to community to suggest what to discuss). Each WG in IETF has milestones,
but I not sure of the general area milestones related to meetings
selections.

-I am not sure if was discussed before and answered (I am sorry if
repeated), where do I go to find important past/current Q&A for IAOC
(to avoid efforts to be wasted, and unite best answers)? if not
available it can be good to find it at [*].

Recent plenaries reports and the last IAOC overview session have been
recored by Meetecho.  The last IAOC overview is on the main page at
http://iaoc.ietf.org.  Also, plenary proceedings and jabber logs in the
usual places, for example http://iaoc.ietf.org/plenary-reports.html

The reason of my comments/questions I wanted a discuss related to venue as
more safe, because being prepared for disasters is important for all
organisations including IETF (see below references). I beleive the
selection of venue with best-evacuate-options/emergency-plan should be
considered as factor of better option (considering variable number of
participants per room/day). Once some one mentioned that we don't do
meeting in some countries because of high possibility of disaster, so now I
comment if we already agreed on one country, does the IAOC consider
planning of recovery (e.g. even in North America there was disasters, which
is mostly where IETF meet)

Krock, R., E., ‘Lack of Emergency Recovery Planning Is a Disaster Waiting
to Happen’, IEEE Commun. Mag., Vol.49, No.1, pp 48-51, Jan 2011.

Oberg, J., C., Whitt, A., G., and Mills, R., M., ‘Disasters Will Happen –
Are You Ready?’, IEEE Commun. Mag., Vol.49, No.1, pp 36-42, Jan 2011.

Thanks

AB