Re: Regarding call Chinese names

2013-07-16 03:35:32
On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 12:04 AM, Ted Hardie
<ted(_dot_)ietf(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 5:26 PM, Hui Deng <denghui02(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
wrote:

Hi Ted,

I did explain them in the 1st paragraph about minorities (not mentioned
that they could have two kids in mainland)
anyway, I will revise the title by adding "Chinese "Han" people", hope
that will be ok

-Hui

While it is always valuable to note national minorities, I believe you
missed the point.  In some territories, there are dialects of Chinese other
than Mandarin and romanizations
other than pinyin which are common and normatively correct.  For those
Chinese people, your document does not apply.  As an example, the current
chief executive of Hong Kong is properly called Leung Chun Ying (梁振英); his
predecessor  in that role was Tung Chee Hwa (董建華).   Similar situations
arise in Taiwan and in many territories where Chinese people are themselves
national minorities.

That's not Pinyin system. I have a question for you, do you think
these spellings are self pronounciable?

Clarifying that your document is specific to the pinyin romanization is
likely enough (since that romanization is based on Mandarin).

We actually clarify that in pinyin draft,
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-zcao-chinese-pronounce-01

Thanks,
caozhen