RE: Regarding call Chinese names

2013-07-26 02:58:53
a. I suppose Mr. Leung and Mr. Tung used Wade-Giles Romanization (or system)
for their name's spelling, which looks very popular outside China mainland
including Hong Kong, and inside China mainland before the year of 1958 when
Pinyin (Chinese phonetic alphabet) was published.

b. I believe Taiwanese has adopted Pinyin system for Chinese Character now,
but they used Wade-Giles system before.

c. Pinyin has been employed on the passport of China Mainland, but I don't
think they are friendly enough for people speaking English to pronounce. To
me, some Pinyin of Chinese character are just for spelling in English, and
are not feasible for the correct pronunciation.

d. Pinyin uses roman (or roughly English) characters to denote the sounds of
Chinese Character, but in the Chinese style, which always causes confusion
in pronunciation. Though the beginning lessons on Chinese language in the
preliminary school is on the Pinyin (or Phonetic alphabet of Chinese
Character), but the foreigner seldom gets chance to learn it. :-(

Best Regards,
Leaf