Re: Regarding call Chinese names

2013-07-11 10:50:32
On 10-Jul-13 19:04, Hui Deng wrote:
We submitted two drafts to help people here to correctly call chinese
people names:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-deng-call-chinese-names-00

   http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-zcao-chinese-pronounce-00

While "first name" and "last name" may be useful for many Western
readers, they tend to produce confusing statements like "put his/her
Last name first, and first name last."  I would prefer the order-neutral
terms "given name" and "family name", which results in the more sensible
"put his/her family name first and given name last."

Also, the section on tones (which BTW belongs in the pronunciation
document, not the names document) is a good example of how allowing
UTF-8, rather than just US-ASCII, would be useful.  "Lao3ban3"
(Wade-Giles) requires memorizing what the various tone numbers mean,
whereas "Lǎobǎn" (Pinyin) provides a visual representation of the proper
tone, which will be more accessible to most readers.