Re: I-D Action: draft-barnes-healthy-food-07.txt

2013-07-16 16:37:04
On Jul 16, 2013, at 1:10 PM, Adrian Farrel
<adrian(_at_)olddog(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> wrote:
It should not be an over-riding consideration.

If not, then what _would_ be an over-riding consideration?

I did the research on the venue for the Dublin IETF and concluded that I could
not stay at the hotel, so I stayed elsewhere and commuted to the venue.   This
made my IETF visit quite a bit less effective than it would otherwise have
been, because I was about an hour from the venue by reasonably priced
transportation.

In Orlando, as an AD, I was still driving fifteen to twenty minutes each way at
least once a day to get food, which was a huge waste of time that left me badly
sleep-deprived one morning.   I still managed to get to the point where I had
to eat a cookie or faint at one point, and that pretty much wrecked me for the
rest of the day.   Expecting there to be healthy food at an IETF venue is _not_
unreasonable, and the lack of it _does_ impact productivity.

(When I mentioned Dublin previously, I was referring to our recent mutual visit
to downtown Dublin, not to the Dublin IETF.)

BTW, on the topic of diversity, I'd just like to point out that understanding
really matters.   Dave Crocker's message on this topic was really touching, and
much appreciated.   I think this is something that we could stand to see more
of in the IETF, not just on the topic of food, but various other diversity
topics that we discuss from time to time (or perhaps even now, in another
thread).