Re: I-D Action: draft-barnes-healthy-food-07.txt

2013-07-16 15:29:59
On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 3:10 PM, Adrian Farrel
<adrian(_at_)olddog(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> wrote:

My point, of course, is not to disparage those with medical conditions, or
even those with philosophical/religious convictions.****

** **

Google shows me a supermarket within 1km of the venue in Dublin. I walked
to one while I was there. I also caught the free shuttle to down-town
Dublin where I saw several shops.

[MB] The market within walking distance was poorly stocked when I went
there.  The only thing I found that I could possibly eat was canned
vegetables.    Yes, I did take the shuttle to the city at night for dinner,
but that didn't solve the lunch issue at all and the speciality food
markets weren't open that late.   Did you subsist on the food that you
bought at the supermarket or did you partake of the food that you could eat
that was offered at the hotel buffet?    [/MB]

****

** **

I know folk who travel with suitcases of special food.

[MB] Sure. And, in many cases we are violating local laws by bringing food
into the country.  Most of the food I carry with me is nuts, pumpkin seeds,
dried fruit and some snack bars.  All of those things would be confiscated
if I declared them as they have been when I have been searched and they
have found them.   I asked someone to bring a packaged food product from
Stockholm to me when we were meeting in the US. It got confiscated.  [/MB]

****

** **

It is hard.****

We should do what we can to be accommodating.****

It should be one of the factors we consider in selecting/briefing a venue.
****

** **

It should not be an over-riding consideration.

[MB] This is the very reason I wrote this document - being able to eat
SHOULD be an over-riding consideration for meetings.  That's a basic human
requirement for survival.    Certainly, most of us won't die if we have to
subsist on nuts, seeds and dried fruit, canned veggies, etc during an IETF
meeting.  But, most of us will not function well without proper nutrition,
somewhat equivalent to what we are used to on a daily basis.  While, at
this point, I might benefit from some fasting, I would never choose a week
where I am working 12-16 hours a day to do so. [/MB]

****

** **

Adrian****

** **