Re: Last call: draft-montemurro-gsma-imei-urn-16.txt

2013-07-21 00:06:14

Certainly text can be added to the draft to address concerns.

Could Tim please elaborate on what issues he sees when a device is transferred
between owners and what potential uses of the URN he has a concern with?

Certainly I can see that if it was used as address that had some permanence
then that would be an issue however this is not the case as per
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-allen-dispatch-imei-urn-as-instanceid/

Andrew

----- Original Message -----
From: John C Klensin [mailto:john-ietf(_at_)jck(_dot_)com]
Sent: Saturday, July 20, 2013 09:44 PM Central Standard Time
To: Tim Bray <tbray(_at_)textuality(_dot_)com>
Cc: IETF-Discussion Discussion <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Subject: Re: Last call: draft-montemurro-gsma-imei-urn-16.txt

--On Saturday, July 20, 2013 19:17 -0700 Tim Bray
<tbray(_at_)textuality(_dot_)com> wrote:

Fair enough.  I think it would be reasonable to ask that:

- the draft include the word "privacy"
- the draft discuss the issues around relying on an identifier
that persists across changes in device ownership

There may be an issue concerning a SIP-related identifier
which is unavailable on millions of mobile devices which do
not have IMEIs, but it's quite possible that it's
non-applicable in the context of the draft.  -T

Personally, I'd consider getting all three of those issues
addressed in the document (including a discussion of the
applicability of the latter and a serious discussion of the
privacy issues) as adding value... and as requirements for RFC
publication in the IETF Stream.

   john

solicitor-client or other applicable privileges), or constitute non-public
information. Any use of this information by anyone other than the intended
recipient is prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error,
please immediately reply to the sender and delete this information from your
system. Use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this transmission
by unintended recipients is not authorized and may be unlawful.