Re: Last call: draft-montemurro-gsma-imei-urn-16.txt

2013-07-21 15:01:49
At 00:03 21-07-2013, Andrew Allen wrote:
The reason why the IMEI namespace is being registered as a GSMA namespace and not as part of the 3GPP namespace is that the GSMA has the responsibility for IMEI assignment and hence in maintaining uniqueness of the namespace. It has nothing to do with IPR which was extensively discussed on the dispatch list.

I read the dispatch mailing list. I did not see the extensive discussion. I saw the following comment "Surely that is just trying to turn the IETF into the policeman".

The primary purpose of the IMEI is for preventing use of stolen mobile phones and enabling emergency calls to be made from mobiles that don't have a valid subscription.

From what I read the main purpose of the IMEI is to be able to take measures against stolen phones and against equipment which the use cannot be accepted for technical or safety reasons. The secondary purpose is the tracing of malicious calls.

There is an apps which sends the IMEI in a cryptographically-protected form over the network. For what it is worth, it's MD5.

There has been some work in the IETF on emergency calls (see service URN).