Re: [payload] Last Call: <draft-ietf-payload-vp8-08.txt> (RTP Payload Format for VP8 Video) to Proposed Standard

2013-07-19 19:13:03

Resent on different list …

I would like to raise an issue interoperability with this payload specification
that we are currently having with WebRTC implementations. In WebRTC, and many
other places, you want SDP to be able to control the resolution of the image
(or at least the outer limits of the resolution). Yes, I realize there are
applications where you know the resolution vis a some out of band mechanisms
but O/A SDP is not one of the where this is guaranteed. We do need to specify
how this works for use with O/A SDP.

Some implementations think that if you want the resolution to by 720 lines by
1280, you control the resolution of codec with a SDP line something like

 m=video 62537 RTP/SAVPF 96
 a=rtpmap:96 VP8/90000
 a=ssrc:5 imageattr:* [1280, 720]

Some other implementers think you control the resolution using RFC 6236 with
something like

  m=video 62537 RTP/SAVPF 96
  a=rtpmap:96 VP8/90000
  a=imageattr:96 [x=1280,y=720]

There is one thing that as far as I can tell that all the implementors agree
on. None of the implications control the resolution using

  m=video 62537 RTP/SAVPF 96
  a=rtpmap:96 VP8/90000
  a=fmtp:96 max-fr=30;max-fs=3600

What resolution do you think "max-fs=3600" is? I have no idea. It is not
possible to implement so it is not surprising no one is doing  it. However,
this draft-ietf-payload-vp8 draft says the resolution is specified using the
max-fs and max-fr.

I raised this in the WG and the WG came to consensus that current draft is
fine. So I actually believe that current draft does represent IETF consensus
and that I was merely in the rough on that consensus. I had decided to just
ignore it in LC because I was under the impressing that all the implementations
would just ignore the RFC and do "a=imageattr:96 [x=1280,y=720]". However, when
it came to my attention that many were doing  "a=imageattr:96 [x=1280,y=720]"
but some where doing the non interoperable "a=ssrc:5 imageattr:* [1280, 720]",
I decided that this problem actually needed to be fixed.

I think this draft is broken and will create interoperability problems for
years to come. I encourage the IESG to fix it. I don't care how it is resolved,
I care that there is a way to for O/A to sort out the resolution and since the
approach used be SDP to do this is codec specific, it needs to be in this
draft.

Cullen