Re: Bringing back Internet transparency

2013-07-30 11:01:49

On Jul 30, 2013, at 5:55 PM, Josh Howlett wrote:

Though of course an underlying problem is that no vendor wants to sell
hardware that will obsolete itself, unless of course it obsoletes itself
by requiring the customer to purchase even more expensive hardware than
it replaces.    It's hard to see how IETF could fight against vendors who
were making good money by making the network more complex, less reliable,
and less flexible.

Personally I would characterise this as a demand-side problem, not
supply-side: most users plainly aren't willing to pay for Internet
transparency.

I don't think that's the problem; I think the problem is that most users don't
realize how much lack of transparency is harming them.   So "transparent
Internet access" isn't a commodity.    Transparency would be cheaper if there
were more demand for it, and there would be more demand for it if people
realized how much more utility they'd get out of the Internet if they had it.

Keith