Re: Bringing back Internet transparency

2013-07-30 17:43:26

On 7/30/2013 6:23 AM, Noel Chiappa wrote:
The IETF doesn't have a police force, or any enforcement mechanism. If we're
going to head off these boxes, the only tool we have to do that is to build
better mousetraps - i.e. design stuff that does what people want, is more
cost-effective, and is better than these local 'point deployment' boxes.

Although I appreciate the sentiment, "what people want" (ISP operators, or at least some of them), was an artificial way to differentiate home customers from commercial providers.

I.e., they wanted to create a differentiation that wasn't part of the Internet architecture, so they put one in.

NATs did other things (reuse addresses, block services, etc.), but IMO mostly as a by-product of this primary motivation.

It's very hard to do "what people want" when what they want is to defeat the core concept of the architecture - that all endpoints are 'equal'.

Joe