Re: [iaoc-rps] RPS Accessibility

2013-08-06 16:15:34
On 08/06/2013 04:03 PM, Melinda Shore wrote:
On 8/6/13 11:58 AM, Joe Abley wrote:
For what it's worth (not much) I would miss the line at the mic.
There are useful conversations that happen within the line that I
think we would lose if the mic followed the speaker, and I also think
that pipelining the people at the mic promotes more fluid
conversation. But these are minor points, and I'm mainly just waxing
nostalgic.
I actually think that this is not a small point.  The people in
line are the people with issues and the ability to hash stuff out
quickly is pretty nice.
This only works if the queue is fairly short. When the queue gets longer, and the microphones are in fixed positions, it's not unusual for the topic to jump around from one speaker to the next - and then each speaker has to re-establish what context he's talking about. It's very hard to get convergence under those conditions.

I'd actually like to see the microphone queue discipline replaced with something that could handle more than two currently active speakers. Multiple wireless microphones would probably work well enough, if we could change the room setup to make access to those microphones fairer.

(though it could still be challenging to incorporate remote speakers into the mix)

Keith