Re: TCPMUX (RFC 1078) status

2013-08-10 14:41:28
On 10/08/13 21:29, Wesley Eddy wrote:
On 8/10/2013 1:43 AM, Martin Sustrik wrote:
Hi all,

Does anyone have any idea how widely is TCPMUX (RFC 1078) protocol used?
Is it the case that there are inetd daemons in TCPMUX mode running
everywhere, or can it be rather considered a dead protocol?

Specifically, if I implement a new TCPMUX daemon how likely I am to
clash with an existing TCPMUX daemon listening on port 1?

It's in the FreeBSD inetd, among others, but to to my
knowledge, nobody actually turns it on.  There are
probably security issues.

I am aware of inetd and alternatives. I was more interested whether there's some significant deployment base of systems with TCPMUX turned on.

So far, the only relevant info I've found is that TCPMUX was turned on by default on SGI Irix systems, but given that these had end of life in 2006, I guess there's not much of them left out there.

Martin