Re: Last Call: <draft-nandakumar-rtcweb-stun-uri-05.txt> (URI Scheme for Session Traversal Utilities for NAT (STUN) Protocol) to Proposed Standard

2013-08-15 09:02:28

Some comments on this STUN draft and the TURN one:

1) The ABNF in these drafts leaves no room for future extension such as adding
parameters.  Was that intentional?

2) Why do both of these docs repeat a lot of ABNF from RFC 3986, instead of
just referencing it?  It says in the appendix some ABNF was repeated because
RFC 3986 "are for hierarchical URIs".  I'm not exactly sure what that means
other than you don't have a path component, but as far as I can tell the copied
ABNF components in these STUN/TRUN drafts are verbatim copies of RFC 3986, all
the way down to their final expansion.

For example, 'IP-literal' and all of its sub-defined parts ('IPv6address',
'IPvFuture', 'h16', 'ls32') appear identical to those in RFC 3986.  In fact, so
is 'stun-host' and 'turn-host' - it's just RFC 3986 'host' by another name.  Am
I missing something?

Why not just have this:
   stunURI       = scheme ":" stun-host [ ":" stun-port ]
   scheme        = "stun" / "stuns"
   stun-host     = host      ;see section 3.2.2 of [RFC3986]
   stun-port     = port      ;see section 3.2.3 of [RFC3986]

Not a big deal, but it just seems simpler and cleaner to me to not repeat ABNF
from other RFCs, especially when the RFC in question is the one for general URI
syntax and you're defining a specific URI syntax based on it.

-hadriel