Re: Last Call: <draft-nandakumar-rtcweb-stun-uri-05.txt> (URI Scheme for Session Traversal Utilities for NAT (STUN) Protocol) to Proposed Standard

On 08/15/2013 04:05 PM, Graham Klyne wrote:
Harald,

Briefly:

1. Thanks for the reference,

and

2. I misunderstood what you meant by "This is a format for a piece of
data".  In light of your clarification, I withdraw my comments 3 & 4.
Identification of the STUN service would appear to be a perfectly
reasonable use.

So the remaining issues from my questions are whether the intended
highly constrained use of these services justifies allocating a URI
scheme.

If the community consensus is that it is of sufficient value, I might
suggest an annotation to the scheme registration along the lines of:

"This URI scheme is intended for use in very specific NAT traversal
environments, and should not be used otherwise on the open Web or
Internet."

Would such a comment run contrary to your expectations for its use?
I would prefer to run the comment as "This scheme is intended for use in
specific environments that involve NAT traversal. Users of the scheme
need to carefully consider the security properties of the context in
which they are using it."

Echoing the warning in the STUN scheme - "use this when you know what
you're doing only".

Frankly, like Hadriel indicated, I have no idea whether it will be
useful in other contexts or not,
I tend to think not.

and I'm hesitant to put language that
seems to claim that we've evaluated all possible contexts
Agreed.

and say that
there aren't other contexts in which it can be useful.
Too many negatives. :-) You are hesitant to say that it won't be useful
in other contexts, or you would prefer to say that it was designed for a
specific contexts and probably wouldn't be useful outside that context?

I'm hesitant to say that it won't be useful in other contexts - that is,
I'd prefer to say nothing about whether it will be useful elsewhere or not.

Others understand other contexts better than I do; if they come forward
(as Hadriel just did) and say "This is useful to me", I don't want the
draft to say "Sorry, but we decided you can't use it".

Peter