Last call of draft-ietf-spfbis-4408bis-19

2013-08-20 14:02:17
As the bottle is opened, I hereby state my objection to Section 3.1 of
draft-ietf-spfbis-4408bis-19 for the reasons explained below. I do agree (as
stated below) that the section of RFC 4408 that specify how to use both SPF and
TXT resource record types include an error as it does not lead to
interoperability.

As the intention with use of both TXT and SPF originally was to migrate from
TXT to SPF I instead of what is outlined in the draft suggest that a proper
migration strategy is laid out (look up mandatory to implement SPF and fall
back to TXT). This instead of deprecation of the SPF record.

In general I do believe, for example when looking at IPv6 and DNSSEC and
similar technologies, that the lifetime of RFC 4408 is too short to deprecate
any of the proposed records that are in use, specifically as RFC 4408
explicitly do allow use of both.

   Patrik