RE: "Deprecate"

2013-08-29 07:23:34
Tom,

Not a complete answer but look in RFC 4020 (especially 3.3) and
draft-cotton-rfc4020bis (currently in IETF last call).

Adrian

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of t.p.
Sent: 29 August 2013 12:56
To: ietf
Subject: "Deprecate"

I recently saw 'deprecate' used in an IANA Considerations and turned to
"IANA Considerations" [RFC5226] to see how it was defined only to find
no mention of it there.  I am used to the term from SMI, as quoted
below, but that seems not quite right, in that a deprecated IANA entry
never disappears, as in
http://www.iana.org/assignments/smi-numbers/smi-numbers.xhtml#smi-
number
s-5

Are there other, perhaps better definitions of the term 'deprecated' in
use outside SMI (and yes, I know about praying nuns!)?

Tom Petch