Re: PS Characterization Clarified

2013-09-03 16:14:50
On Sep 3, 2013, at 4:40 PM, Barry Leiba <barryleiba(_at_)computer(_dot_)org>
wrote:
The only concern I have is that once we do this -- declare that PS is
always more mature than that -- we can't go back.  Do we *really* want
to say that we will never again approve a PS spec that's partially
baked?

It seems as if we already do this.   It's not unusual to publish things as
experimental when we don't think they're baked, and that seems entirely
appropriate.

The fact is that anything that has PS on it at this point has had _very_
thorough review.   Frequently PS have multiple implementations.   I think that
what you are describing is actually the status quo—it would be very hard to get
something really half-baked published as PS at this juncture.   That doesn't
mean that every PS is high quality, but neither are they half-baked.