Re: Bruce Schneier's Proposal to dedicate November meeting to saving the Internet from the NSA

2013-09-06 11:10:37
On 9/6/2013 10:46 AM, Ted Lemon wrote:
The threat model isn't really the NSA per se—if they really want to bug you, they will, and you can't stop them, and that's not a uniformly bad thing. The problem is the breathtakingly irresponsible weakening of crypto systems that has been alleged here, and what we can do to mitigate that. Even if we aren't sure that it's happened, or precisely what's happened, it's likely that it has happened, or will happen in the near future. We should be thinking in those terms, not crossing our fingers and hoping for the best.

IIUC, I'm with Ted.

We should be thinking in those terms, and thinking broadly.

I have to wonder whether weakening crypto systems to allow pervasive passive monitoring by "national agencies" would weaken them enough for technologically savvy corporations to monitor their competitors, for instance.

Spencer