Re: not really pgp signing in van

2013-09-09 20:08:37
Sounds like we're on our way to reinventing S/MIME.  Other than the
key signing and distribution (which I agree is a major can of worms)
it works remarkably well.

Which sounds kind of like, "Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"

Yes, and no.  PGP and S/MIME each have their own key distribution
problems.  With PGP, it's easy to invent a key, and hard to get other
people's software to trust it.  With S/MIME it's harder to get a key,
but once you have one, the software is all happy.

The MUAs I use (Thunderbird, Alpine, Evolution) support S/MIME a lot
better than they support PGP.  There's typically a one key command or
a button to turn signing and encryption on and off, and they all
automagically import the certs from on incoming mail.

R's,
John