Re: not really pgp signing in van

2013-09-10 16:48:42
You go to a Web page that has the HTML or Javascript control for generating a
keypair. But the keypair is generated on the end user's computer.

So I run Javascript provided by Comodo to generate the key pair.   This means
that my security depends on my willingness and ability to read possibly
obfuscated Javascript to make sure that it only uploads the public half of the
key pair.

I think we're entering the tinfoil zone here. Comodo is one of the largest CAs around, with their entire income depending on people paying them to sign web and code certs because they are seen as trustworthy.

How likely is it that they would risk their reputation and hence their entire business by screwing around with free promo S/MIME certs?

Regards,