Re: not really pgp signing in van

2013-09-10 18:46:19
On Sep 10, 2013, at 6:50 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
wrote:
Could be but I have been working through what we know versus what would be
required and I really can't see how a group of people who would let Snowden
loose on their innermost secrets would be able to keep a conspiracy that
required CAs or Gmail staff or the like to participate on the scale required.

You don't need a conspiracy.   You just need to threaten the right person with
jail.   And yes, apparently they think they can throw you in jail for quitting
your job, if they asked you to do something for them and you quit to avoid
doing it.   I am fairly sure that this law is unconstitutional; if you are
independently wealthy and think you can avoid having your assets frozen, I
encourage you to arrange to get served with an NSL and then challenge it in
court.

Nevertheless, your optimism about this problem is not an optimism that I share,
and apparently I am not alone in my pessimism.   You can certainly argue that
the IETF need not address this threat model, but I don't agree with you, and
your assurances that it's all perfectly okay are not swaying me... :)