was: not really pgp signing in van

2013-09-11 11:35:11
Hi Yoav,
At 03:28 11-09-2013, Yoav Nir wrote:
I don't think you'd even need the threats.

[snip]

Notice the important parts of that pitch. A sense of danger; Making the target feel either patriotic or a humanitarian; Sharing a "secret" with the target, making him part of the "inner circle". Making the target feel important, like "only your cooperation can help us stop the next attack". If this pitch is executed correctly, by the end, the target is asking for an NSL as CYA. I've seen this kind of thing done once years ago, but it was done very poorly and didn't work.

Yes.

My reading of Phillip Hallam-Baker's comment is that there isn't anything to worry about in relation to Comodo except that he does not have any knowledge about the operational side. John Levine asked how likely they would risk their reputation. Theodore Ts'o mentioned that there really is no incentive for them to do a good job.

Over the last few years nobody noticed that there might be a problem. That's not reassuring. I doubt that people would not comply with a NSL.

Regards,
-sm