Re: ORCID - unique identifiers for bibliographers

2013-09-16 14:26:16
* The purpose of ORCID is to /uniquely/ identify individuals, both to
differentiate between people with similar names, and to unify works
where the author uses variant or changed names

If you think that's a good idea, I don't see any reason to forbid
people from including an ORCID along with the real contact info, but I
would be extremely unhappy if the IETF were to mandate it or anything
like it.

My name turns out to be fairly common.  Over the years, I have been
confused with a comp sci professor in Edinburgh, a psychology
professor in Pittsburgh, another comp sci researcher in Georgia, a
psychiatrist in Cambridge MA, a composer in Cambridge UK, a car buyer
in Phoenix, and some random guy in Brooklyn, all of whom happen to be
named John Levine.  Tough.  Not my problem.

I also think that it's time for people to get over the "someone might
spam me so I'm going to hide" nonsense.  The point of putting contact
info in an RFC is so that people can contact you, and the most
ubiquitous contact identifiers we have remain e-mail addresses.  I
still use the same e-mail address I've had since 1993 (the one in the
signature below), and my garden variety spam filters are quite able to
keep it usable.  If I can do it, so can you.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet
for Dummies",