Re: IPR Disclosures for draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcp-xr-qoe

2013-09-16 15:29:24
On 17/09/2013 08:10, Ted Lemon wrote:
On Sep 16, 2013, at 3:51 PM, Ted Lemon
<Ted(_dot_)Lemon(_at_)nominum(_dot_)com> wrote:
This is a claim in the boilerplate which the IETF, not the authors, are
making.

I am sure flames are already directed my way for being imprecise here, but
what I mean is that although the authors put this boilerplate in the
document, the IETF, through the document publication process, effectively
affirms that the authors have made this claim, so it's entirely reasonable
for us to double-check that all of the authors of a document know they are
making this claim, and that it isn't something that one author put in without
asking the others about it, and that all the authors actually understand what
the boilerplate says.

Yes. And as an author, I have never been offended by being asked, for
recent RFCs, if I had in fact done what the BCPs specify, which is to
disclose (or arrange to be disclosed) IPR of which I was reasonably
and personally aware.

I believe this question was added to the procedure after one or two
cases where authors had not done so.

   Brian