Re: ORCID - unique identifiers for contributors

2013-09-17 16:09:34
On 9/17/2013 4:52 PM, Yoav Nir wrote:

Having an IETF identity is OK if all you ever publish is in the IETF. Some of
our participants also publish at other SDOs such as IEEE, W3C, ITU, and quite a
few publish Academic papers. Using the same identifier for all these places
would be useful, and that single identifier is not going to be an @ietf.org
email address.

Then for these unique individuals, a single source id is useful for them and should be recommended to consolidate contact consistent and persistent information. People are increasingly doing that now with what was once alias junk domains, i.e. gmail.com, google+, even facebook, twitter, etc. I know I have move away from a using a corporate id in public that are now protected (in spirit) by ADSP and DKIM. But as a total, don't you think the ietf.org will benefit in the long run maintaining its own registry?

--
HLS