Re: ORCID - unique identifiers for contributors

2013-09-17 14:59:38
On 9/17/2013 3:24 PM, Melinda Shore wrote:
On 9/17/13 11:14 AM, Michael Tuexen wrote:
For example
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3237.txt
has 7 authors. I know that at least 4 affiliations have changed
and at least you can't reach me anymore via the given e-mail
address or telephone number.

This is not the problem ORCID addresses, except indirectly.
It's a way to establish that the author Melinda Shore who
worked at Cisco is the same author Melinda Shore who worked
at the Center for Research Libraries.  It is NOT a contact
mechanism, a personal tracking mechanism, etc.

But how much of a problem is that? Why not advocate gmail.com, google+, facebook.com, linked-in? I registered at ORCID and it found a similar named registrant. It only wanted to know if it was me, if not then continue. But all the newsletter spam potential and privacy issues and even more in there, well, scared me. It had multiple levels of privacy to select and too much reading required to follow it. So I punted on that.

Why can't the IETF offers its own signup requirement for I-D submissions where a contact id can be provided? The focus should be within the @IETF.ORG, not try to steer folks to use some 3rd party contact id where the IETF has no legal hold or control of any kind, in case, well, of the many things that can happen.

Thanks

--
HLS