Re: Last Call: <draft-resnick-on-consensus-05.txt> (On Consensus and Humming in the IETF) to Informational RFC

2013-10-09 00:54:36

On 2013-10-09 13:30, Melinda Shore wrote:
On 10/8/13 9:20 PM, Loa Andersson wrote:
FWIW - my personal way of thinking about consensus vs. rough consensus,
please note that it my personal view not a definition.

Consensus - An agreement by everyone in a group that a proposed
             solution is the best of all of all possible solutions

Rough consensus - An agreement by almost everyone that the proposed
               solution is good enough for everyone to live with.

That's a lot like voting, I think.

Well - if you say so, but then we don't have even a rough consensus on
what consensus and rough consensus means.

Note I talked about what a group need to reach to be able to say that
there is "consensus" or "rough consensus". Not how it is measured, in
IETF we trust the wg chairs to correctly judge if we have reached a
rough consensus.

/Loa

Melinda

--

Loa Andersson                        email:
loa(_at_)mail01(_dot_)huawei(_dot_)com