Re: Last Call: <draft-resnick-on-consensus-05.txt> (On Consensus and Humming in the IETF) to Informational RFC

2013-10-31 02:19:27
Hi Pete,
At 09:33 29-10-2013, Pete Resnick wrote:
See other messages. I think the intention is to make it a consensus Informational document.

Ok.  As the document is Informational I'll read it according to BCP 9.

I think section 3 is pretty clear that the chair must exercise technical judgment in many cases. Your hypothetical is the extreme case not mentioned in the document. If the group says that the sky is green, *and* nobody questions that assertion, *and* the chair suspects the sky is not green, I believe it is reasonable for the chair to pose the question to the WG: "Are we sure the sky is green?" If the working group simply says "Yes" without explanation, I think the chair is within bounds to say, just as they are if someone else had raised the issue, "I don't think the group has truly considered and weighed this issue such that I can declare (rough) consensus on this point." But this must be done *extremely* carefully. Chairs who insert their technical judgment too often or too heavy-handedly risk losing the confidence of the group as an impartial consensus caller. Better might be for the chair to (perhaps quietly) solicit a review from a sky color expert from another working group, asking for them to comment on this sky being green issue. But having the document go forward with a technical issue that the chair knows about but that the rest of the working group hasn't noticed is, I think, to shirk responsibility as a member of the community.

All that said, I wonder if it's necessary to say this in the document. It's a more general comment about the chair role rather than about consensus per se.

I preferred to use a case which is not related to any IETF discussion. The reason I brought this up is because the Chair may not be viewed as impartial (re. above comment). Thanks for explaining the above.

I think (hope) that if we start thinking about consensus the way the document describes, appeals (at least in the early form, where it's simply discussing the issue with the chair or the AD) would not be nearly so fraught.

Yes.

I've added a bit to section 5. Send text if you think it is not sufficient.

I'll send text off-list if I notice anything.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy