Re: Review of: Characterization of Proposed Standards

2013-10-31 03:45:56

On 31 okt. 2013, at 01:49, Abdussalam Baryun
<abdussalambaryun(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

Hi Kathleen

As my understanding, this procedure update document under review allows
comparing SDO work within our IETF work, so as IETF is already open to allow
all participation of businesses and SDOs into IETF, this issue of comparing
discussions while our standards draft developing will create longer
discussions and even disagreements between businesses/companies.

Any cross-organisation standard work issues with external bodies we need an
agreement policy like our one with ITU. I don't think it is good to discuss
comparisons in IETF because the IETF is open (other May not be), and we
should focus on the development of our standards following IETF aim. The
document does not mention any agreement requirement between IETF and other
SDOs, if we want to allow such process.

IMO the IETF has special aim and different standard vision than other SDOs ,
so IETF standards need to be interoperable, competitive, and not dependant. I
suggest to add a requirement of existing agreement policy when doing work
that involve other SDO.

Dear Abdussalam,

Just to clarify what the draft is about: It is about documenting our processes
and giving a characterization of Proposed Standards that match what amount of
review we have performed and what the resulting quality is.

There has been quite some pushback on the language that compares the quality of
our output with the quality of other SDOs output. A version 05 will shortly be
available (and I will post a message to the IETF list when it is) that is far
more neutral (less condescending) than the previous versions of the document.

Cooperation with other SDOs, in the form of e.g. liaison relations, is not the
subject of this document. The document also doesn’t talk about various types of
normative relations that IETF standards may have with other documents.  I think
that this document will not cause ‘longer discussions’ by itself.

I hope this clarifies, if not feel free to contact me off-list.

Thanks for engaging and kind regards,

—Olaf