Review of: Characterization of Proposed Standards

2013-10-30 19:49:56
Hi Kathleen

As my understanding, this procedure update document under review allows
comparing SDO work within our IETF work, so as IETF is already open to
allow all participation of businesses and SDOs into IETF, this issue of
comparing discussions while our standards draft developing will create
longer discussions and even disagreements between businesses/companies.

Any cross-organisation standard work issues with external bodies we need an
agreement policy like our one with ITU. I don't think it is good to discuss
comparisons in IETF because the IETF is open (other May not be), and we
should focus on the development of our standards following IETF aim. The
document does not mention any agreement requirement between IETF and
other SDOs, if we want to allow such process.

IMO the IETF has special aim and different standard vision than other SDOs
, so IETF standards need to be interoperable, competitive, and not
dependant. I suggest to add a requirement of existing agreement policy when
doing work that involve other SDO.

AB