Re: Review of: Characterization of Proposed Standards

2013-10-31 11:37:18

On 24 okt. 2013, at 15:29, Dave Crocker <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> wrote:

Review of:    Characterization of Proposed Standards
I-D:          draft-kolkman-proposed-standards-clarified-04

Reviewed by:  D. Crocker
Date:         24 October 2013

This draft offers revised normative text for the criteria used to
qualify IETF drafts as entry-level Proposed Standards status. The
draft's background discussion makes a number of assertions of fact
without substantiation, at least two of which are probably not correct.
The revised normative text includes two criteria that also are likely
inaccurate.

  The draft is not ready for approval.

Based on these comments and the comments made during the IESG ballot I’ve made
changes to the document.
Just posted as:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kolkman-proposed-standards-clarified-05

See Appendix B.6 for a somewhat detailed in-document log of the changes or the
excellent diff tool:
http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-kolkman-proposed-standards-clarified-05.txt

There was a suggestion to remove the characterization of Internet Standard (for
completeness) I think that is a matter of taste and not of content.

More a matter of content is Dave’s (off-list) suggestion to remove section 4:
That section is result of a discussion on the IETF list between Sep 3 and 13
and addresses the worries about setting the bar to high for publication.

I believe that with this version all is addressed and we’ve arrived at if not
consensus, then only ripply consensus, certainly not rough…. but off course
Jari/IESG is the judge of that.

Over (and out?)

—Olaf