Re: leader statements

2013-10-09 17:43:03
Björn,

On 10/10/2013 10:21, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
* Brian E Carpenter wrote:
Either we trust our current and future chairs, on certain occasions,
to speak in our name without there being a discursive debate in advance,
or we will have no voice on those occasions.

We should think before we speak, and discursive debate is our collective
thought process. Accordingly I would expect Chairs to anticipate and fa-
cilitate debates that might be necessary or useful, especially on issues
where they find giving the collective a voice may be important. It seems
implausible to me that there would be notably many such occasions. Maybe
because as German I am inclined towards disregarding phatic expressions.

I assure you that after looking up "phatic" I feel the same way.
And I agree with your point: when there's time to consult the community,
of course it should be done. But sometimes there isn't time, which
is when IMHO we should show some trust in our various Chairs.

    Brian