Re: Montevideo statement

2013-10-10 13:50:37
On 10/11/2013 7:31 AM, Jari Arkko wrote:
Dave:

On IANA:

Further, I believe there is no IETF context

RFC 6020 and
http://www.iab.org/wp-content/IAB-uploads/2011/07/IANA-IAB-FNOI-2011.pdf

Jari,

The fact that you had to reach back 2.5 years, to a frankly rather obscure document that came from the IAB and not the broader IETF, demonstrates my point that we lacked meaningful context and, in particular, you lacked mandate for speaking about this on behalf of the IETF.

And lest the end of the above sentence be taken as too stern or critical, I'll point out that I think we, the IETF, have been marching down a path of causing our 'leaders' to feel empowered in this way -- we have actually been moving towards kings and voting -- and hence, again, this is not a criticism of you or Russ personally. If anyone feels compelled to apply the word criticism here, they need to apply it to all of us, the IETF community.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking