Re: Internet standardisation remains unilateral

2013-10-21 14:34:31
On 22/10/2013 05:39, Lixia Zhang wrote:
On Oct 21, 2013, at 6:30 AM, Stephane Bortzmeyer
<bortzmeyer(_at_)nic(_dot_)fr> wrote:

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 09:08:43AM -0400,
Dave Crocker <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> wrote
a message of 27 lines which said:

He invented the datagram...
Some people say it is Leonard Kleinrock. I welcome any precise
references on the history of the datagram, specially if they are
accessible online (whuich is rare for scientific papers of this
time).

Pouzin might have coined the word "datagram" in an early 70's paper (memory
is vague now), but it seems that the concept of datagram is already in Paul
Baran's seminal paper published in IEEE Trans. on Communications (March 1964).
And yes it is online (credit to David Goldberg who scanned the paper):
    http://www.cs.ucla.edu/classes/cs217/Baran64.pdf
(read pages 6 & 7)

Yes, and all that was in his RAND Corp. reports published in 1962.
Donald Davies gave him credit, too. Kleinrock, as far as I know, worked
on how queueing theory applies to packet networks - and that was
important too.

More to the point, we did try the "submission via national standards
bodies" approach. I believe it was called OSI.

   Brian