Re: Internet standardisation remains unilateral

2013-10-21 22:57:31
Hi,

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 01:45:00PM -0400, John C Klensin wrote:

I've got the same reaction to "IDN technical restrictions".  I'm
not aware of any significant ones unless one has a desire to
use, e.g., symbols, as domain name labels.  And, as far as
"visual ambiguities" are concerned, I'd love to know what he
proposes

Having just sat through his presentation at the IGF meeting, I think
what he proposes is roughly, "Change math so that trees don't have a
single root."  He has just advocated "multiple roots", has asserted
repeatedly that ICANN controls the entire DNS and that the DNS is
therefore controlled by the US, and that IDN is not enough because.
Happily, we have open-root (perhaps amusingly, available from
http://open-root.eu/), which is prepared to offer you this
alternate-root, not-IDN-but-internationalized, all-works-magically
solution.

I have a great deal of respect for M. Pouzin's contributions to the
technical development of the Internet.  I'm afraid, however, that I
can't tell the difference between what he just proposed and a barker's
proposal for the Medicinal Compound, "efficacious in every case".

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs(_at_)anvilwalrusden(_dot_)com