Re: Internet standardisation remains unilateral

2013-10-21 09:36:29
He is right that the USA and perhaps other developed countries dominate the
Internet standardization process but there is a good reason why and that
when I talk with people from developing countries like mine (Argentina)
they don't are able yet to understand that blaming the "north" is not the
solution and what they need to do is to gets hands on into the issue and
develop/implement reasonable policies to have more participation in the
process.

Obviously there is a lot of participation from people from the USA or
working for US companies, full time or almost full time participation in
the IETF process requires for the participant to have a sponsor, after all
she/he still needs to live in a decent place, feed her/his family and pay
the bills, and have some security for retirement in the long term, plus pay
for the trips, etc, etc.

US companies (and sometimes the government) know very well that it has a
lot of strategic value for the company, and the country, to sponsor such
type of individuals. I doubt that Vint Cerf, Halald Alvestrand (which btw
is from Norway not the USA), and many others, are part of the daily grind
working at Google and punching time cards, but Google recognizes and value
having such type of individuals embedded in the development of the
Internet, and they have big pockets to fund them.

The issue is that the knuckleheads in charge in other parts of the world
don't get yet to understand that if they want to be part of the process
they have to invest in it, and particularly sponsor skilled and capable
individuals so they can dedicate most of their time and brain to it and not
worry about how they will pay the bills at the end of the month or if they
will have a job next week, and for sure they will have to compete for
talent with US based companies.

So for the knuckleheads stop whining and do something ...

My .02
-J

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 7:58 AM, Stephane Bortzmeyer