RE: Internet standardisation remains unilateral

2013-10-22 22:35:59
Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
And what if that something is get the French government to
contribute to a rival to IETF? Or combine with the governments
of Brazil and Mexico to create a larger anti-IETF?

Let them try it. It will fizzle when they lose the little traction they have
now in the fallback of the Snowden leaks. In 2016 when Brazil (you picked it,
not me) hosts the Olympic Games, they lose $100 million of per click
advertizing because they have moved their stuff behind an alternate root or
whatever pipe dream and nobody can access it? Have them eat their own dog food.
History repeats itself; each time there is evidence of mismanagement from
foreign powers, secessionist feelings flare and some smart @55 will exploit
that to their own advantage.

The key is IPv6.

Then you have a problem, because France is the only country that has remotely
tried to deploy it.
Phillip, with all due respect for your very valuable past and present
contributions, you're a dreamer. The reason you worry about the idea of the
French government combining with Brazil and Mexico is as invalid as you think
that IPv6 can be deployed. You believe in the dream, the market believes in
money.

Get IPv6 deployed in the real world and then I will pay attention to the French
threat to take over the IETF and the Internet. Otherwise it will get in the
same state of "non-deployment" that is not to be worried about.

Christian de Larrinaga wrote:
Bakailao argi dago hizkuntza unibertsala! RFCs
arrantza espedizioak dira. Ez dago?

I knew some Basque would step in! Thanks for playing, Christian ;-)

Let's make a deal about the official IETF language:
Mondays: Basque
Tuesdays: Catalan
Wednesdays: French
Thursdays: Norwegian
Fridays: Spanish
Saturdays: Esperanto
Sundays: English

Deal ?

Roger Jørgensen wrote:
What I personal is very sure of is that it will not changed to
Norwegian (where I'm from), or any other European language.

+1

That being said, and back to the point I have painfully trying to make, I have
not felt the resistance to English from people in your native country nearly as
much as I have felt it in my native France.

Take a wild guess what language that might get some
of that in near future (10-20years). China.

Your logic is flawless, for a wild guess. It would be my #1 pick as well; size
does matter. That being said, many people in the US feared that it would happen
with India in the software development market years ago, and it did not happen.
As Jorge put it very nicely, US-based corporations have managed to assimilate
Indian talent, and it is no mystery that they are trying to assimilate Chinese
talent.

Define assimilate? We are the Borg. Resistance is futile.

Michel.