Re: Internet standardisation remains unilateral

2013-10-21 11:04:49
From my experience over the years, I would generalize this that the developed world has dominated the standards process in this field, whether it was the IETF, ISO, ITU, or IEEE and most others. Most of that has to do with the expense involved in participating. Since the 1990s, the ability to participate on-line has done a lot to lower that barrier and we see that. At one point IEEE was considered a US professional organization and all of their standards were run through ISO. Some still are.

It still takes time for countries to "come up to speed" and do we really have any idea how many are watching but contributing infrequently. As Jorge points out we are seeing this change, although perhaps not as fast as we (or they) would like.

Yes, English is a problem for all non-English speakers. It takes a lot of effort to work in a foreign language even when you are fluent, and English isn't the easiest of languages. ;-) I have discussed this with many people and there does not seem to any way around it. 150 years ago, it would have been French. How often do you see two non-English speakers conversing in English because it is the only common denominator? It looks like we are stuck with it. I know of no standards committee that does not operate in English, although some may run plenaries with translation into one or two other languages. (For all of you non-English speakers, be glad that most of us American English speakers don't speak another language! Lets you talk about us without us knowing what you are saying!) ;-)

As with most things like this, if the problem isn't stressed progress against the issue will be even slower. There are structural issues in the IETF that allow over representation in meetings, what some might call stacking meetings, but this seems to be a case more of companies stacking meeting rather than countries.

But as a friend said to me, it is good to see that after 40+ years, Pouzin is still getting people riled up! He has a very long history of this! ;-) It got him black balled in France.

Take care,
John Day