Re: Internet standardisation remains unilateral

2013-10-22 01:59:22
On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 01:45:00PM -0400, John C Klensin wrote:
Incidentally, I consider most of those slides to be distortions,
presumably  in support of a rather specific agenda or at least
the result of a very different perspective on appropriate global
networking technology.

Well, the slides are certainly somewhat provocative (like good slides often
are?). But I would guess that many of the observations are easily shown to
be empirical facts. It is hardly any news as such that there are national
and company interests embedded in the standardization processes.

Besides, IETF has of course been a popular case among the scholars of
standardization. See for instance, Gencer, M. (2012): The Evolution of
IETF Standards and their Production. International Journal of IT Standards
and Standardization Research 10(1). (Behind a paywall.)

- Jukka.