Re: Internet standardisation remains unilateral

2013-10-22 00:37:22
Hi John,
At 08:58 21-10-2013, John Day wrote:
From my experience over the years, I would generalize this that the developed world has dominated the standards process in this field, whether it was the IETF, ISO, ITU, or IEEE and most others. Most of that has to do with the expense involved in participating. Since the 1990s, the ability to

Yes.

participate on-line has done a lot to lower that barrier and we see that. At one point IEEE was considered a US professional organization and all

  Jari Arkko
  Benoit Claise
  Ted Lemon
  Barry Leiba
  Adrian Farrel
  Stephen Farrell
  Joel Jaeggli
  Pete Resnick
  Gonzalo Camarillo
  Stewart Bryant
  Spencer Dawkins
  Hannes Tschofenig
  Andrew Sullivan
  Eliot Lear
  Russ Housley
  Joel Halpern

All members have not participated (see above).

I would look at it this way; if I tell Person X that he/she has the ability to participate on-line and the person tells me: "I don't see everyone participating on-line", what would my response be? If I give a less-than-honest response it won't be convincing.

It still takes time for countries to "come up to speed" and do we really have any idea how many are watching but contributing infrequently. As Jorge points out we are seeing this change, although perhaps not as fast as we (or they) would like.

I don't think that there are any numbers for "contributing infrequently". It is premature to say whether there is a visible change (in terms of countries) or not.

Yes, English is a problem for all non-English speakers. It takes a lot of effort to work in a foreign language even when you are fluent, and English isn't the easiest of languages. ;-) I have

Yes.

The is also the problem of culture. Person X and I may speak the same language (it might not be English) but it can still be difficult for us to have a conversation. Person X might not be comfortable to tell me what he/she thinks or that he/she has not understood what I said. It might be some variation of cultural leveling.

As with most things like this, if the problem isn't stressed progress against the issue will be even slower. There are structural issues in the IETF that allow over representation in meetings, what some might call stacking meetings, but this seems to be a case more of companies stacking meeting rather than countries.

Yes.

There is a clash of values at some level ...

Regards,
-sm