Re: Internet standardisation remains unilateral

2013-10-21 08:56:53
On 10/21/2013 03:34 PM, Noel Chiappa wrote:
Actually, probably a bigger issue than national bias is the dominance of
vendors (who can afford to send personnel), versus users.

I wonder whether Internet standardization is so different from other sectors.

In any case, someone needs to find the motivation to spend his/her time to work on specifications. Obviously, not everyone is willing to do that even though the barrier of entry in the IETF is fairly low.

Vendors obviously have a fairly good motivation to participate.

For example, the author of the slide deck could participate in the IETF rather than suggesting that the specifications should be submitted to a national standards body for comments. One could even argue that the national body (which is most likely heavily influenced by vendors) could send their comments directly to the IETF (if they care about a certain technology).

How separate efforts in national standards bodies avoids the problem of local deviations (as mentioned in the slides) is a mystery to me.

With regard to the strong US focus in the IETF I believe we have discussed this topic extensively under the umbrella of increasing diversity.

Ciao
Hannes