Re: CHANGE THE JOB (was Re: NOMCOM - Time-Critical - Final Call for Nominations)

2013-10-21 09:30:57
On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 10:18 AM, Michael Richardson
<mcr+ietf(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca>wrote:

Andy Bierman <andy(_at_)yumaworks(_dot_)com> wrote:
    > First it would be good to confirm (from NOMCOM?) why people are
rejecting
    > AD nominations. IMO asking 25 - 40 hours a week for 2 years is too
much,
    > but I am guessing that 1/2 of that is the right number to require.

nomcom doesn't always hear back a reason.
I'm not sure that nomcom has the time to investigate;  while the list of
people who accepted is public according to BCP10 (rfc5680), the list of
who declined is not.

We've been told a reason for decline about 10 times so far.  Half of those
cited the time commitment and uncertainty of support by their employer, the
other half cited only their support for the incumbent.  Sometimes people
say that they won't try to get the support by their employer because they
support the incumbent so they think their own candidacy isn't needed.

It would be nice if the list of who declined could be made available
(perhaps
under NDA) to some researcher to do a survey.

When we get a little time, we can think about auto-generating invitations
to the decliners to fill in an anonymizing online survey.