Re: Separate ADs roles from IESG

2013-10-22 10:15:43

On 10/21/2013 07:31 PM, Wesley Eddy wrote:
To the question of splitting the document reviews from the working
group "management" tasks: When I was an AD, I found the document
reviews to be very useful in figuring out what was going on in other
areas that might be related to working groups in the area I was
responsible for, and in calibrating expectations for documents to
come out of my area's working groups.

If the document review and working group management roles were
split, I don't know how the AD doing working group management
would maintain broader awareness to avoid too much overlap or
conflict between WGs, or to know what the relevant things to
look for are in a MIB document, requirements document, etc. that
their WGs are producing, before sending them to IETF LC.  Certainly
they could find other ways to do this than reviewing every document
and sitting in the entire telechat though ...

I think that's a point worth making. The purpose of the
IESG is not to educate ADs, but one side-effect of the
document review is just that, and it does help - I think
I'm less of a dummy about stuff that goes on elsewhere
in the IETF as a result, and I think that an IESG that's
more educated in that way is likely to be a lot better
on the whole.

S.